One of the most popular types of portable vaporizers that has been “gaining steam” throughout the years is the portable vaporizer pen. While these things work a little differently than other portable vapes, lots of folks prefer these since they are ultra-portable and bit more friendly to the bank account.
Let’s try to show you how a vaporizer pen works as well as helping you find the best vaporizer pen for your needs.
So, What is a Vape Pen?
A portable vaporizer pen is a small little gadget that looks just like a pen that makes it easier for folks to vape while they’re on the go.
They may not look like much, but boy do they give you some really good draws with some thick vapor.
Vape pens are just like electronic cigarettes in the sense that you pick whatever material you want to vape, put it in, and take off.
Different Types of Pens
There are 3 types of vaporizer pens that you can get:
- Oil. This is where you can choose to put in whatever essential oils (including e-liquids) you want in there and have at it.
- Wax. With these pens, you simply just pick your wax and the pen heats it up (consistency of honey), allowing for a good strong pull.
- Herb. This is where you can just grind up whatever herbs you like and have a go.
There really is no big differences with each in terms of the design, so it just depends what type of material you are looking to vape.
Something to note is that if you are looking to vape oils or wax, you’ll only need one portable vaporizer pen because it works with both. Herbs, however, are a different story though since the chambers that hold the material are different.
What You’ll Need
There are basically 3 main things you need to get going:
- The battery. This is the bottom part of the pen and is usually just a normal lithium ion battery.
- The clearomizer/chamber (on the right). For oils/wax, you have what is called a clearomizer. This is the top part that holds the oil/wax and is made out of either heat-resistant plastic or glass. For herbs, you have a chamber, instead. Both serve the same purpose.
- Your material. Whether it’s oil, wax, or herbs, pick what tickles you and you’re off to the races.
Don’t worry because the battery and clearomizer comes with each portable vaporizer pen (along with some other things like a charger, etc).
All you’ll need is the material.
How to Use a Vaporizer Pen
For Oil/Wax Pens:
- Take apart the pen by unscrewing the battery (bottom part) from the clearomizer (top part).
- Slide off the top part (clearomizer) so you can see the entry way which is where you put in your material.
- If you’re using oils/liquids, just fill up the clearomizer to about 80% full to prevent leakage. If you’re using wax, just take out an amount that would fit into the tiny hole in the center of the clearomizer.
- Seal it up (don’t over-tighten)
- Screw the top and bottom together.
- Turn it on and vape.
For Herb Pens:
- Repeat 1-6 above, but instead of putting oil/wax, put your herbs in the herb chamber instead.
PV-Pro Tips and Some Things to Watch Out For
After you’ve found a good portable vaporizer pen, you want to make sure that you’re going to take care of it so that it lasts a long time.
Here are a few tips:
- Cleaning. All you need to do is turn the portable vaporizer pen upside down, and turn it on in order for anything that is built up to melt away.
- Replacing. If you’re vaping oils/waxes, you’re going to want to change out the clearomizer once the taste starts to taste “burnt”. The threads that are inside there burn out eventually, so you’ll probably need to replace it at least every month depending on how much you use it.
- Get a travel case. I’d highly suggest you get a travel case for when you’re out and about. You don’t want this thing slipping out of your hand and having an “Oh crap, I dropped my iPhone” moment. Plus, it’s much more convenient.
Something I’ve also noticed is that it is really hard to find some good vape pens at local vapor spots. It seems as though the places just import some junk from overseas in bulk and try to pawn it off as the “latest and greatest”, so just have you’re eyes peeled on makes, models, and how much they are selling them for. Think “New York street vendors”.
Ask the folks helping you out as many questions as you can to make sure they know their stuff.
Overall, vape pens are just another type of portable vaporizer that you can always just take on the go. They are really awesome and super easy to carry around with you when you’re out and about and since they are actually smaller than the average portable vaporizer, they won’t draw as much attention which is another plus.
If you’re considering getting one, make sure you pick quality over price as it will pay off for you in the long run.
Photo by Hosse / CC BY SA
Photo by Elvert Barnes / CC BY-SA 2.0