Last month we saw the newest addition of portable vaporizers emerge on the market and it goes by the name of the Firefly Vaporizer.
At first glance, it actually looks like one of those old flip phones which makes it very discreet if you’re carrying around this bad boy in public.
The heating chamber is made from borosilicate glass and it has a stainless metal vapor path which is awesome because that means you’ll get some great pure draws as well as keep all the flavors and active ingredients the moment they are vaporized.
Let’s dig in a little deeper and see what this little guy is made of.
How it Works
It heats up pretty damn quick (clocked in under 10 seconds) and works really well when you are ready to “have a go” so you don’t have to sit around waiting for it to heat up.
Here’s how to use it:
- Make sure it’s fully charged. Most likely it will come fully charged when you get it, but I always like to make sure I’m starting with a full deck before I play.
- Get your material ready. I found that it’s best to grind your material down to a pretty fine grind to avoid it getting stuck (the Magic-Flight Finishing Grinder does this the best I think), but you can experiment a little with what gives you the best result.
- Pop open the cover. The neat thing is that it has a magnetic cover so it’s really easy to get it open and then let it snap back in place.
- Put in your favorite material. Your choice, of course.
- Turn it on. This will put it in standby mode.
- Pre-heat it by pressing the heater button on the side. Depending on the type of draw you want, I’d recommend preheating it for about 10 seconds so that it gets a good burn going. You can also opt to let it pre-heat for less or even not do it at all, but the vape density will be a bit on the light side so it’s up to you.
- Take your draws. Depending on how you like it, you can take short or long draws. I find that the longer you pre-heat it, the longer (and heavier) kick you’ll get.
The Firefly Vaporizer is a convection style vaporizer which means that it uses the heated air to vaporize your material and goes from 100 °F to 400 °F in around 10 seconds. It has a sophisticated software that’s built into it that allows it to do this, so you don’t have to manually mess with anything.
Just turn it on and you’re ready to go.
The Firefly Vaporizer comes with a high-power Lithium-ion battery and it recharges in less than 45 minutes.
You can charge the battery directly in the Firefly or in the optional external charger. To switch out the batteries, all you need to do is turn it over and slide it off (like a cell phone battery cover) and you can put in a new battery in just a few seconds.
Now as far as the battery life, it will obviously depend on how you use it and if you elect to pre-heat it before each vape session.
I found that if you don’t pre-heat it at all, you’ll get around 40 decent draws per charge.
If you do pre-heat it, you’ll get about half of that, but those 20 draws will pack a harder punch.
It’s a good idea to get at least one spare battery for it in the event that you forget to charge it, but it’s really necessary because of the fact that it charges so quickly.
What it Comes With
Here’s what comes in the box:
- Firefly Vaporizer
- High Power Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
- Cleaning Kit
- AC Adapter
- Soft Case
- User Manual
How to Take Care of It
There’s good news and bad news on this.
The bad news: Material will sometimes get stuck underneath the grooves of the lid so you’re going to have to use the cleaning materials that it comes with and clean it after every 5-6 draws or so. It’s not that big of a deal really, but it’s a slight inconvenience.
The good news: Other than that, it has basically no parts and is really easy to clean. All you need to do is take the lid off and brush it clean and just rinse it under some cold water.
Final Thoughts and PV-Pro Tips
All in all, this a really sleek vape and I like it.
It’s a little bit heavier than the Arizer Solo which doesn’t make it super-duper portable in the sense that you can’t just stick it in your pocket and go, but that’s because of the build quality of it. If anything, the Firefly Vaporizer is the perfect “cordless portable vaporizer” to keep with you at home or if you’re going over to a buddy’s place.
One tip to remember is that when you get your herbs ready to put into the chamber, make sure you do not over-pack it because it will affect the performance of it.
Firefly also gives a 5 Year Limited Warranty on it, so you know you’re in good hands if you choose the Firefly Vaporizer.